Getting there
Search site

Crasciana is 799 meters above sea level and 12.5 kilometers from Bagni di Lucca. Leaving Bagni di Lucca on the state road Brennero take the junction at Fabbriche di Casabasciana and passing the villages of Sala,Casabasciana and the stream Granchia.It’s the last village on the mountain known as Crasciana pomposa(pompous Crasciana). At the top of Crasciana there’s a bell tower of the 17thcentury and a parish church.The view is fantastic and goes from mountain Battifolle to Brandeglio,Pratofiorito and the villages below known as ‘la Controneria’ and also the Apennine Mountains they just made the picture.The placename of Crasciana comes from the roman colonist Carsius.

The History
Crasciana is found in a parchment of the year 824 its still nominated in the documents from 958 to 985 like part of the population of Casabasciana. It seems that in the 12thcentury it wasn’t yet submitted to the town of Bagni di Lucca, but results so in the statute of 1308.It was probably in the hands of the Lupar family until 1316 when Castruccio Castracani took away all his possessions and he had to exile to Bologna.Crasciana became part of the community of Val di Lima until the constitution of the town of Bagno a Corsena.Crasciana was fortified between the 10th/11thcentury,it remains in the list of castles named by Castruccio until 1400.In 1385 the fortress was repaired and in 1648 the soldiers left the village leaving the fortress in custody of the population.Crasciana had a large population and was strategicly strong.Crasciana represented the last stronghold for the Republic of Lucca against the attacks of the Florentines.The records tell of the fights for almost 17years between Crasciani,Casabasciani against the population of Castelvecchio,San Quirico di Valeriana because of the borderline until peace was made in 1541.There remains one statute of Crasciana dated 1735.The parish church dedicated to the S.S Jacopo e Frediano, the first is celebrated on the 25th July with a solemn procession that takes place the night before.Where told that until 1260 it had three aisles and stone pillars.Inside the church an urn contains the mortal remains of San Beatrice Martire.A valuable organ recently repaired is attributed to Pietro Agati from the middle of the 700’s.Three kilometers beneath the village theres a church dedicated to San Frediano maybe this was the old parish church back in the 13thcentury with one aisle,an apse and a beam roof.Inside the statue of the Madonna della Consolazione worshiped by every Crasciano in Italy and abroad.Every three years in August theres a feast that lasts 3 days dedicated to her with fireworks and music.The statue is taken in procession to the parish church then taken back to her shrine.

Famous People

Search facility

Choose type

How many stars?

Verify availabity

RSS feed